Sunday, June 10, 2007

Since It's A Holiday Tomorrow

I figure I can stay up a bit later and post another card I made. See, I told you, I have been making stuff, just haven't gotten around to posting any of it!


This is a card I made for a little boy in Harrison's playgroup. He is the first one in the group to have his first birthday - a very exciting time for all of us.

I was very pleased to see that Wild About You made it into our 07/08 IB&C. It is just the greatest set for kids cards. I also stepped out of my comfort zone and used some patterned paper. I often don't like the results when I use PP, but this time I think I did good, LOL.

So, down to the details. I stamped Charlie the croc (I think he looks like a Charlie, so that's my name for him) in Old Olive and grounded him using a faux A Muse Oval. I haven't seen any A Muse stamps stocked here and with the changes in postage rates from the US to Australia, buying one has now dropped a little further down the list. How did I make this faux oval I hear you ask, well it was easy.

The A Muse site gave the dimensions of the stamp, so I opend my MS Word program and picked the drawing tool and made a circle. I changed the dimensions to those of the A Muse oval and then printed it out. I trimmed down the oval, cut out the centre, applied some 2-way glue and set it aside to dry. When it dries, it becomes a repositionable adhesive, how cool is that. I then made a mask for Charlie, by stamping him on a Post It and cutting him out. I then placed the cut out Charlie over the stamped Charlie and then positioned the oval at his feet, and then sponged Going Grey in the oval and voila - a faux A Muse oval. Here's a helpful hint, DON'T throw your masks away, just store them in the case of the matching stamp set and you're good to go for next time!

I then matted Charlie with some burgandy card from my stash that I'm pretty sure I picked up from Fern Gully Stamps. I have no idea who makes it but it was a perfect match to the PP which is Hang Ten from the North Shore line by Scenic Route. It's a double sided paper so the dots were on one side and the diagonal strips are on the other. The card base is Night of Navy and I've placed some SU Navy grosgrain over the join in the paper! The HB sentiment is from the Paper Tray set. It was stamped in Versa Mark and embossed with White EP. I usually use the W/White craft ink but because it is SO moist it doesn't alway emboss the best, especially with fine sentiments. I think the results using Versamark ink have turned out a little better. The 1st was made using Thickers. These are self-adhesive chipboard letters by American Crafts. I have used them before and they were so cool, I just had to get me some! I was really pleased with how it turned out.

Supplies Used: (SU! unless otherwise noted)

Stamps: Wild About You, Paper Tray (PaperTrey Ink)

Cardstock: Night of Navy, Whisper White, Burgandy (unknown)

Ink: Old Olive and Going Grey Classic Ink, Versamark

Accessories: Dimensionals, Navy Grosgrain Ribbon, 2-Way Glue, Paper Snips, White Detail EP, Post It Note, Computer, Thickers by American Crafts


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jo, You have been a busy little bee and a very creative one at that. Cards look fantastic. Marls

Unknown said...

Love the little alligator, or is it crocodile???
Love it either way.

Sam said...

Jo, I really love this card. So bright and fun. Sam.

Angie Z ~ Duckwaddlequack said...

This is so cool! Love the richer darker colors for this! A perfect boy card!
~Angie

Heather P. said...

This is such a cute card! I think the patterned paper is a great addition. :)