Friday, August 2, 2013

JAI #176 - Just Add Blokes

Hi, this week at Just Add Ink the challenge is to Just Add Blokes.  It's our sneaky way of saying those ever so scary words, make a masculine project. Now it can be for a boy of any age, but it turns out that I needed a Thank You card for one of our Auskick coordinators tomorrow night, so this is what I made.


I was inspired by one of the cards shown in the Summer Stamp Camp 2 class that I took a few week's ago.  It's quite sad that this is the only card I have managed to make for the class - it was 3 week's long and the live content finished last week.  Nothing like being on top of things :(

I stamped and embossed with White EP my newish Hero Arts background stamp on watercolour paper.  You can probably see that I moved the paper when stamping, but because this is a masculine card, I figured that I could leave it as is *wink*.  I then used my distress inks to colour the background - the technique has a name but it escapes me at the moment, sorry.  The sentiment is from SU's 'Dude, You're Welcome' kit, and it has been embossed with Early Espresso EP.  I just wrapped the vellum around the edge of the panel and adhered down on the back.  The panel is attached to the front of an Early Espresso card base using a whole heap of dimensionals.  :)

I really like making masculine cards - being in a boy dominated family, I tend to have to make a lot of them. The hardest thing about this challenge was keeping my mind on just one idea - I could have made more, I had so many ideas for things I wanted to do.  I did make another - it's funny how using the exact same inks gave the embossed panel a more feminine feel. I haven't finished it off yet because I'm struggling with the placement of the sequins that I want to add. Anyone got any ideas for making the 'random' placement look 'random' and good?

Gosh, Blogger is being such a pain - I'm sure I'm not the only person having troubles. I'm trying to type this up in HTML (which I know nothing about) so I can't add in any links or whatnot. Once Blogger sorts itself out, I will come back and edit.  I've now logged into Google Chrome and am having no problems now - stupid IE.

Well, that's it from me.  Be sure to check out the rest of the Design Team's submissions - lots of fantastic ideas for your viewing (and pinning) pleasure.

Thanks for visiting

Supplies Used:  (Stampin' Up! unless noted otherwise)
Stamps:  Dude, You're Welcome, Looped Flower Pattern (Hero Arts)
Ink:  Versamark, Peeled Paint Distress Ink, Shabby Shutters Distress Ink, Peacock Feathers Distress Ink (Ranger Industries)
Cardstock:  Early Espresso, Watercolour, Vellum
Accessories:  Heat Tool, White Embossing Powder, Early Espresso Embossing Powder, Embossing Buddy

4 comments:

Paula Dobson said...

Totally love this card Jo. This technique is gorgeous! I want to try it myself but don't have any alcohol inks!! Will have to see what I can come up with ♥

Nikki Spencer said...

How great is this effect Jo! You've made a great masculine thank you card with it. Like you l struggled with the homework for classes this time, managed a couple...but life got in the way, thank god we have forever access..:0) Love the depth of colour you get with distress inks, your colours are very yummy! xx

KimB said...

Can I call a card for a bloke gorgeous? Cause it is! But still a great card for a guy. Love the colours and the wonderful contrast from the white pattern to the ink. xxx

Narelle Farrugia said...

This is a wonderful card Jo! Love the effect you've created on your background!